Eardley Road, Aylmer
Eardley Road starts in the centre of Aylmer (city of Gatineau), turning off Principale after a small park, opposite the old courthouse (1852) that is now the Centre Culturel de Vieux-Aylmer. Place des Pionniers, containing the Aylmer Library (Bibliothèque Lucy-Faris), and the Aylmer service centre for the city of Gatineau, is on the corner.
See Aylmer, Québec, its heritage, by Diane Aldred, for more details of houses in the village of Aylmer (Aylmer Heritage Association, 3rd edition, 1989). Notes on many of the houses in Aylmer come from this book (with Dianes permission) the page number is given at the end of each description. Most of the dates of buildings come from the Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings (CIHB files at the Aylmer Heritage Association).
The descriptions follow the highway as shown on the map from right to left (from Aylmer to Wyman).
20 Eardley Rd, the Ferron-Beaudry house, (Monuments Outaouais) is on the right. This was originally a one-and-a-half-storey frame house, constructed in 1860s for Edward Ferron, on a lot bought by Narcisse Ferron soon after 1843. Narcisse Ferrons daughter Clara, inherited the house. She married Elie Beaudry, son of Amable François Beaudry who settled in Aylmer in 1846, and was elected to the first town council in 1847. Their son Télésphore converted it into a two-storey flat-roofed house about 1905. J.P. Beaudry inherited the house in 1966. (AQ p 138)
21 Eardley Rd, the Narcisse Perreault house, on the left, on the corner of Eardley and Bancroft. It was constructed of squared timbers in 1850s. Narcisse Perreault was a river pilot who came from Joliette, Québec around 1850. In the late 1880s his widow, Margaret Irish, sold the house to Robert Ritchie who added the large frame addition at the rear. Robert Ritchie and his brother Thomas ran a general store and butcher shop until the mid 1890s when they established the Ritchie sawmill on the waterfront. Louis Renaud lived there from 1939. (AQ p 139)
Notre Dame Convent, 1867/1872. Designed by Thomas Baillargé of Québec City and started in 1864. The large stone building was gutted by fire almost as soon as it was finished. In 1868 St. Pauls parish sold the property to the Grey Nuns who repaired the building by 1872. The Grey Nuns taught girls here for almost a century. Then it became the Maison Communautaire Bruyère and also housed the hospice Maison Mathieu Froment Savoie. Currently it is being converted to a seniors residence. (AQ p 98-99)
St. Pauls Church and Presbytery, Eardley Rd at Notre Dame. In 1838 permission was granted to build a church in Aylmer on land donated by Charles Symmes. The first church was built in 1840, a second, larger church was built slightly to the west in 1862. The presbytery was built on the site of the original church in 1878. A third church completed in 1894 was damaged by a fire started by lightning in 1895. Repairs were completed in 1905. See also www.lieuxdeculte.qc.ca website, Eglise Saint-Paul.
The church, Casavant organ (1918), stained glass windows and artworks inside the church were destroyed by fire on 11 June 2009.
The original cemetery, consecrated in 1841, lay on the east side of church (now a parking lot). The cemetery was moved to Aylmer Rd in 1872. (AQ p 140)
Richard Cruice house, 47 Denise Friend St., corner of Eardley Rd. (Beauchamp Funeral Home). This attractive one-and-a-half-storey stone house was built in the early 1850s for Richard Cruice at the time of his marriage to Sarah Jane Symmes, third daughter of Charles Symmes. Dr. Peter Howard Church bought the house in the 1860s. It was occupied by his son Ruggles Church who became Attorney General for Québec, and was appointed Judge of the Queens Bench in Montreal. Stone additions at the rear and east side date from 1860s. Dr. J.J. Edmond Woods lived here 1876-1883. Judge Joseph St. Julien owned it 1883 to 1932. (AQ p 142-143)
St. Pauls School, Eardley Road. A stone building was first built in 1892 at the corner of Brook St. It was enlarged in the 1920s and late 1940s, and renovated in 1999. The stone walls of the original school are visible on the north side up to the first floor. (AQ p 144-145)
100 Eardley Road, Dr. P.H. Church house, at the NE corner of Eardley and Front. Peter Howard Church came to Hull Township in the early 1830s. This one-and-a-half-storey log house was built around 1832. The one-storey frame extension on the south side was where he saw patients. The house remained in the Church family until 1880 when it was bought by Thomas P. Foran, son of John Foran. Thomas Foran was an advocate, and the first student to graduate from the University of Ottawa in 1865. (AQ p 146-147)
124 Eardley Road, Harvey Parker Jr. house. Harvey Parker Sr arrived from the U.S. in 1801, and farmed 170 acres. This frame house was built on a portion of the farm, for Harvey Jr., during the 1840s. Harvey Parker Jr. was Aylmers third mayor from 1862-1866. While he was mayor the first boardwalks were laid in the village. Parkers granddaughter Eva sold the house in 1910 to Klondike George Mulligan. (AQ p 148-149)
130 Eardley Road. Olmsted house. Information wanted.
136 Eardley Road, William McLean house. Plank on plank construction, erected in mid 1860s. (Identical in design and materials to Christs Church rectory, built at about the same time). William McLean arrived in Aylmer in 1851 aged about 26. He married Margaret Thompson. In 1860 McLean was chosen to deliver the welcome address to the Prince of Wales who stopped in Aylmer for a few hours on his way up river to Arnprior. In 1868 he was elected as Aylmers 5th mayor for two consecutive terms. Harry Jowsey bought the house in the 1930s, installed exterior shingles, put in modern bathrooms and remodelled the kitchen. (AQ p 150-151)
Maison William-McLean has been added to the register of Canadas historic places: http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=7259&pid=0
137 Eardley Road. Information needed.
On the right, far back behind pine trees, 158 Eardley Road. Information needed.
179 Eardley Road, James F. Taylor house. Born in Scotland, Taylor came to Hull Township in early 1800s to work as a blacksmith and bookkeeper for Philemon Wright. In 1826 he helped erect the stone Methodist chapel now at 495 Aylmer Road. He served as recording secretary for all meetings in the township for more than 50 years. In 1831, he was appointed first registrar at the Land Registry Office. Taylor first married Mary Wright, daughter of Philemon, she died in 1821. Next he married Nancy Olmstead, a daughter of Gideon Sr, she died in 1837. In 1842 he married Elizabeth Edey, a daughter of Moses. This log house, covered with clapboard was built for them in 1842-3 on a portion of Moses Edeys homestead, which Moses had bought in 1806. (AQ p 152-3)
(If you arrive on Eardley Road from the Boulevard des Allumettières (formerly McConnell-Laramée / Boulevard des Outaouais), this is where you join the heritage highway. Turn right towards Fort Coulonge and Quyon).
202 Eardley Road, behind Pinks Garden Centre. This was built by Aylen Ryan about 1873.
218 Eardley Road, a red brick house with mansard roof.
255 Eardley Road, white clapboard, 1840. This house was moved back from the highway in 2004 (following construction work to bring the highway up to provincial standards). The photo was taken in 2000.
256 Eardley Road, Renaud family.
363 Eardley Road, white clapboard house built 1870, barn about 1875. Olmsted family. Howard Rae Olmsted was the owner until 1999.
398 Eardley Road, opposite Boulder Rd.
400 Eardley Road, 1870 log barn painted red and red brick house, 1948. This farm was in the Kerr family for many years.
The 1880 plank barn became unsafe and was taken down in 2005. In 2006 a new barn covered in red board and batten was constructed as the shop for Potager Eardley, growing and selling strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, sweet corn, pumpkins and other local fruit and vegetables in season.
459 Eardley Road. red brick house, probably also 1948. Nesbitt family.
464 Eardley Road.
475 Eardley Road, a plank barn, Albert Richards.
482 Eardley Road, white farm house.
Terry Fox Road is the dividing line between the city of Gatineau (Aylmer sector) and Eardley township (part of the municipality of Pontiac).
Eardley Road (Highway 148) now enters Eardley township.
[ Next -> ]
[ Title page, map ]
[ Eardley Road, Aylmer ] [ Hwy 148, Breckenridge ] [ Hwy 148, Heyworth, Luskville, Eardley ]
[ Highway 148, Onslow ] [ Village of Quyon to Wyman ] [ Side trip to Pontiac Village ]
Return to top
Updated Thursday, 18 February, 2016